Friday, January 22, 2010

On the Raggedy Edge; Survival

I looked 'round hopin' no one saw me sneak into the buildin', "Gorram cold..... And little food." Kickin' at the rubble from the decayin' brick wall, I picked up a good piece and chucked it at the trash pile. I was hopin' to flush somethin' from there.... Maybe somethin' to eat. "Met up with a few more folk, but only two knew Lily. I told them too. Storm was one. She's the daughter of Inxy. Good to know. She said she'll watch out for Lily too. Good to know I ain't the only one. I know Seana's got a watch out. She said as much. I ain't seen Xoxo 'round. Wonderin' where she's at."

Spotting the scrawny dog, I decided it didn't have enough meat on it's bones to be worth eatin'. I let it run off. "I spotted Lily and went try and talk to her and run into Inxy, instead. She was real protective. I had to convince her I was tellin' the truth. I let her listen to the last Comm signal I got from Lily. From there she told Lily I was in for the hunt." Sighin', I went lookin' for another big water rat to eat. Nothin' here for pickin' up a real meal. No restaurants, no grocers.... Nothin'.

"Later, Lily decided to attack me. She wanted me as hers. Then she gorram bit my shoulder. Right through the heavy leather jacket I was wearin'. It's deep, hurtin' pretty good now. Had to call the ship down when no one 'round. Changed my clothes and grabbed a ration pack. Gorram last one too. Put somthin' on the bite, but it's already red. Maybe if I could've got to a first aid kit earlier it might not be a problem. I grabbed the antibiotic pack and took that. That'll hopefully take care of it." Hearin' somethin' I moved from the alley, 'round the corner, and down the manhole. Maybe they won't be lookin' for me specific.

"Aiya, this place is full of strange folk. I was able to sit with Lily for a short while, but she don't remember much of Hale's or anythin'. I can see why. I'm even caught up in it. But I got too much to worry 'bout to be forgetful. This ain't the place to relax. You die here if you let your guard down. I been attacked already. Got bit. Was lucky that's all it was. And there were others out there.... huntin'. I been able to get a few quick Waves to Seana and one to Brooke. Then Lily decided to go playin' in some buildin' what had a man in a blue tank. She thought it was Blue.... I had to explain it wasn't. Made her sad, but she needed to know the truth of it." Another noise. Sewers echo.

"Had to keep movin' or get killed. Just last nigh, Lily and I got caught up in a a fight b'tween the folk that took her in and a rival group. A lot of injured after that. Lily run off. Someone come and offered me a place in the group what took Lily in. I figured it'd be better then bein' there without someone at my back watchin' out while I slept." I moved further down along the sewer tunnel listenin'. Somewhere out there was Aurora..... I caught scent of her earlier today. It's got me a little worked up.So far no one's hurt Lily. Yet. But I got a real bad feelin' that ain't goin' to last. I got to make sure Aurora don't get her. Lily has to make it home. And I'll do what I got to to make it happen."

Movin' quietly, I climbed the small accessladder back up and out. "Just hopeSeana can get us the hell out of here soon. We needfood and some tendin'. Both of us. Things got bad again late. Another fight, but with some mutants. Got cut up a little, but I ain't tellin' Lily that. She don't need to know that. Sides I can hold out for a while longer. I just got to get herto realize home ain't here. She got family waitin' for her...." Runnin' back to the woods and some relative safety. Good thing there's folk out in the village what'll watch out for us.... But we can't stay here much longer either. Time's short....

No comments:

Post a Comment